Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Opinion: Base Layers in Summer?????


Opinion: Base Layers in Summer?????
OK, this might seem odd, and I am sure the jury is out of this one, but I am keen to know your thoughts on base layers I the summer. 
I was introduced to this concept by an ex elite who now runs a cycle camp in southern Spain.  When you want to really experience dry heat, there is no better place and things get sweaty!  As like every Fred that has come before me, I look to the pro and ex pro for guidance, from leg shaving to glasses/helmet strap position.  What struck me as odd was that in 34 degree heat he was wearing a base layer and not only that a wool one.
For many, and at that time myself included the idea of wearing a base layer in summer was strange.  Surely more layers means warm, right?  Well according to him.  Wrong.  The theory is that it traps sweat, as it evaporates; it cools and hence acts as A/C for the bike.
Well you can’t argue with Science! So I gave it a go. 
To be honest with you I am in too minds about it. 
The Stink Factor!
On one level it removes a level of what can only be described as Cycle Smell.  Those familiar with Ice Hockey will know of Hockey Smell.  Whiles not as bad as this, still not great.  The main reason for this is the use of synthetics in cycling clothing; oh year and sweating like a pervy history teacher.
“sweating like a pervy history teacher”
Trust me on this one, if you commute, the use of the light wool base layer will mean that your colleagues will stop keeping a 5m distance when you rock up at work or leave on your way home.

The Wind Through your Chest Hair:
The flip side of the argument is the feeling of unzipping and letting the wind dance round your man chest-bush!  With a base layer you just don’t get that feeling and when things get hilly, you can feel confined whereas with the jersey unzipped you fool yourself cool.  This is the reason why I do not buy half zip jerseys.  Although I rarely go full Unzip I still feel less confined with at least the option.


The Verdict
Well, there is not one.  This is something that comes down to personal preference.  If have not tired it, I recommend that you do.  A good base layer is always useful.  For me, on a normal hot day in Sydney I will wear one, but once things get past 30 I ditch it.

There are a few that I have tried that are worth considering:
Rapha Base Layer: 
I know what you are thinking, overpriced, but they perform really well and last for ages.  The other plus is that they are a super fine merino wool and very light.  They are quite meshy and still give a bit of air flow.  As they are wool, they do not stink and are great for commuters.

9/10 - Great and Natural - Bit Pricey


Helly Hansen:
They make some great light weight synthetic base layers.  They are not get on air flow but their sleeveless summer ones are soft and last to abuse.  They are better for warmer days but get kind smelly quickly.

6/10 - Ok but there is better out there for the money


Castelli:
The open mesh design looks like something that you will see in the off SoHo men’s club.  To be honest, I have tried this one and can not see the point.  It does not feel as though it is doing the job and just for looks.  This is just my opinion and I have met people who swear by them.

5/10 - Just not my thing, nor effective


Icebreakers:
These are so soft and when it comes to Skiing I would not use anything else.  They have started making lighter weight ones, but even then they are a tad heavy for summer cycling.  Best reserved for the fall or winter.   They last well, but to do not wash as well and Rapha.
7/10 - Bit warm but super soft

No comments:

Post a Comment