Friday, March 18, 2011

Goldie Lookin Chain – KMC X10 SL




It is “Tres Bling” there is no doubt about that but I have to give it to KMC they make a damn good chain.   I hear you ask, what really is the difference from one chain to another.  And to be honest, in my opinion there really is not much between the SRAM, Shimano 105, Ultegra or Dura Ace beside a few grams here and there.  So the usually speal about weight etc really was not why I bought this chain.

The main reason it that it is GOLD!  Solid Fricking Gold.  Well maybe not.  It is a TI nickel coating that they claim is to reduce wear etc but we all know all about the bling factor.  Remember this is the same company that makes an Italian flag coloured chain, although they do not make it for campag 11?  Very odd!

KMC is really the Mac Daddy of chain makers.  They make something silly like 80 million chains a year.  What is interesting is that they make them for a range of companies that most of us would class as mainstream. 

For the weight weenies amongst us, there is the tiny weight of 248g.  That is very Super Leggra by any definition, and offers you the same level of performance that you would expect from a DA chain.  I know as it have now ridden both the Shimano, SRAM and now KMC top of the rage chains in to the ground.

The real benefit is the anti stretch that KMC offers.  I am the worse when it some to not changing my chain on time and with the level of commuting it do, and starting at the lights in the big ring there I really put chains through a pounding. 

This is my real reason for lovin the KMC blingness.  I will wear a chain out in about 6 months in normal use.  Usually it is to the point where I probally should replace the cassette as well.  I was riding on the KMC for about 9 months and did not remember to give it a check.  In fact, it might have even been longer.  When I did finally get out the chain checker I was expecting the worst.  Well past the 1 mark and time for both a new cassette and chain. 

To my surprise I still had a bit of life left in it and no need to even worry about it. 

This sucker not only is super light, looks amazing but it is also very strong.  It is for that reason that one now sits on all my bikes.  I really can’t recommend it enough.





Let me know your comments, I would love to know what you all think.

No comments:

Post a Comment